Tuesday, April 17, 2018

A Lunette, a Window, and a ballet review

 (Above:  Detail of Lunette XXXII.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

As normal, time is flying by and soon my husband Steve and I will be on the road to the Smithsonian Craft Show.  These are the last pieces I'll be able to finish before we pack the cargo van.  Earlier, I thought I would be making a few more smaller works instead of a larger, "Lunette".  Something wonderful changed my plans.  A nice lady who saw Large Stained Glass LXXXI at Art Quilt Elements at the Wayne Art Center outside Philadelphia contacted me and bought a one of the Lunette Windows I had here in South Carolina.  So ... I made Lunette XXXII to replace it.

 (Above:  Lunette XXXII.  Inventory # 4276. Unframed: 17" x 23". Framed: 22" x 28". $495.)

This really is one of my favorite designs even though no two ever turn out alike.  Sometimes I put a right-side-up heart at the center.  Sometimes I change shapes on the outside edges.  Never are the colors the same.  I guess this design is really a "variation on a theme". 

 (Above:  Window CLI. Inventory # 4275. Unframed: 13" x 11". Framed: 17" x 15". $265.)

The first time I cut a five pointed, palm-shaped piece of fabric I wasn't thinking about a hamsa symbol.  I simply liked the shape.  Perhaps future pieces will include a more intentional created hamsa because I truly like the idea of a protective amulet.  There really are so many more motifs to explore!


Finally, Sunday marked the final ballet performance for me to review for Jasper Magazine.  It's been an interesting year of watching and writing.  I don't know yet if I'll continue next season but seeing principal dancers from New York City Ballet on stage with the University of South Carolina Dance Program performance majors was certainly a great way to end a literary assignment!  The review is HERE.

1 comment:

Els said...

Ahhhhh LOVE your vivid coloured windows !!!