Sunday, December 31, 2017

Photographs and Memories Invitational at the Pacific Northwest Quilt and Fiber Arts Museum

 (Above:  My Bluegrass Roots III.)

I'm very proud and excited to announce that the curators at the Pacific Northwest Quilt and Fiber Arts Museum in La Conner, WA selected so many of my pieces for their upcoming Photographs and Memories Invitational.  The work has been packed up and shipped.

 (Above:  My Bluegrass Roots I.)

I wish I could see the exhibition in person, especially since I've been to this great museum (Feb. 2011).  It is a fabulous venue!
 
(Above:  Soul Mates from the Decision Portrait Series.)

The initial correspondence asked about my Decision Portrait Series.  It was exciting to know that somewhere across the country there were people looking at my blog dedicated to this series ... looking, reading, considering each one for their exhibit, and finally making a selection.

 (Above:  Behind in the Mortgage from the Decision Portrait Series.)

The blog reads like a book.  Each of the 108 portraits has its own entry and story.  Each one is special.  I'm particularly happy that these pieces are off a shelf in my storage area and headed to an exhibition wall.

 (Above:  Organic Farmers from the Decision Portrait Series.)

I'm also fond of remembering how I joined Facebook (something I was resistant to do!) in order to find more participants for the series. Joining Facebook, this blog, and corresponding on various on-line fiber arts groups brought me several of the participants.  The Internet is truly amazing ... especially when years later it is what brought me this new opportunity! 

(Above:  College Student from the Decision Portrait Series.)

 I don't really know how or why these particular pieces were selected.  I'm simply honored to be in an invitational museum show!  Unexpectedly, this is happening while another phase of my art is going forward. Today my husband Steve and I have packed our cargo van. We are headed to the Eastern Shore Art Center in Fairhope, Alabama to install my solo show Anonymous Ancestors on January 2nd.  I can't wait to transform the gallery space!  So excited!

 (Above:  Gift of Life from the Decision Portrait Series.)

I'm also excited by another opportunity.  I've been invited to create a piece focusing on one of the Suffragists for an invitational exhibition in 2019 through 2010 or thereabout (and possibly a catalog and hopefully even a book!)  After research, I selected Lucy Stone.  I have a great idea in mind and will start blogging about it as soon as this project commences.
 
 (Above:  Illegal Immigrant from the Decision Portrait Series.)

So ... scroll down for the rest of the pieces headed to La Conner, Washington for the upcoming invitational exhibit!

 (Above:  Fighting Illiteracy from the Decision Portrait Series.)

(Above:  Self Portrait from the Decision Portrait Series.)

3 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Sounds like you're heading into a great New Year! I've been to the Pacific Northwest museum -- very nice venue. Congrats!

Ann Scott said...

Congratulations on your success. I find these pieces and words quite moving and I'm so glad they (and your other works) will reach a wider audience. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Congratulations -- wonderful start to 2018!!!