Sunday, December 10, 2017

In Box CCCIV and CCCV

 (Above:  Detail of In Box CCCV.  Layers of polyester stretch velvet blocks with metallic foiling, machine stitching and melting techniques.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

The two, new pieces shared in this blog post started as a mistake. My husband Steve accidentally cut two, black linen liners instead of the off-white linen liners.  It was an understandable mistake.  I used to use black, not off white ... but that was when my outer frame was this really wonderful, rounded dull gold.  Unfortunately, that picture frame moulding was discontinued and we had to come up with another plan. 

(Above, left: The "old" presentation, black linen liner with rounded, dull gold frame. Above, right, the "new" presentation, off white linen liner with a distressed black moulding featuring a very narrow distressed gold lip.)

There are lots and lots of ways to successfully frame my work.  I know! I've been a professional, certified custom picture framer since 1987.  Yet, there are many things I have to take into consideration with my artwork.  Price! The presentation must be affordable enough to sell even with a 50% standard gallery commission.  Versatility! The presentation must be appropriate for both traditional and more contemporary settings.  Scratch resistance and ease of repair! The presentation must be able to survive going to high end shows, FedEx shipping, and the general wear-and-tear of being hung in different locations (or going in and out of storage) in galleries that represent me.  Both examples fit the bill.

 (Above:  In Box CCCV, 34" x 22" framed. Inventory # 4130. $550.)

So, when Steve cut two incorrect, black linen liners, I decided to try something different!  For the foundation blocks, I used mostly dark colors of polyester stretch velvets and lots and lots of metallic foiling.  I also decided not to solder any interior holes in the blocks of polyester stretch velvet.  I mounted the work on a brighter white mat board and added a wider, more obvious gold frame.

 (Above:  Taking the photos of these two works.)

I'm currently using one of the two front windows of my business, Mouse House, in order to snap photos of completed work.  It is sort of difficult as my tripod must be positioned a bit higher than the center of the work and angled downward ... to compensate for the fact that the artwork isn't perfectly vertical.  Thankfully, this seems to be working and it is an area with plenty of natural daylight without being directly in the sun.

 (Above:  In Box CCCIV, 34" x 22" framed. Inventory # 4129. $550.)

I'm pleased with how these two pieces turned out but I have another idea brewing!  This almost always happens.  One idea simply gives birth to the next one!  I have a funny feeling there's a lot more metallics in my future!

(Above:  In Box CCCIV, detail.)

No comments: